Page 3 - WS Anniversary of Wokingham Town Football Club in the Cup (Amended)
P. 3

The year 1928 was another important milestone in Town’s history, for not only was
               the  league  championship  won  for  the  second  time,  but  also  the  purchase  of  the
               Finchampstead Road ground was completed. The new grandstand and pavilion were
               built at a cost of £630, and they were officially opened in April with a special match
               against Chelsea F.C. who won 5—2 before a crowd of 900.

                In 1949 the supporters’ club was founded and its remarkable talent for raising funds
               was largely responsible for Town’s mercurial rise from junior to senior football in the
               years that followed. In 1953 the final of the Berks & Bucks Intermediate Cup  was
               reached  for  the  first  time,  and  the  stage  was  set  for  entry  into  senior  amateur

                The  club  joined  the  Metropolitan  League  and  subsequently  transferred  to  the
               Delphian League.

                The 1957-58 season brought a memorable Amateur Cup run, which saw the club
               reach  the  quarter  finals,  before  losing  3—2  at  Crook  Town  in  front  of  a  crowd  of
               nearly 10,000. In 1959 Wokingham were admitted to the Corinthian League, in 1962
               the switch was made to the Athenian League, and then to the Isthmian League in

               The  year  of  1969  saw  the  club’s  first  success  in  the  Berks  &  Bucks  Senior  Cup,
               when  a  strong  Slough  side  was  defeated  in  the  Final  at  Loakes  Park,  High

               The club’s first floodlights were installed in 1966 and the season was marked by a
               testimonial game with Fulham. These lights were eventually replaced at the start of
               season  1980-81.  The  1981-92  season  saw  Wokingham  win  the  Isthmian  League
               Division One title by a clear-cut 13 point margin, thereby gaining promotion to the
               Premier Division.

               In  its  first  season  in  the  top  flight  in  1982-83,  Town  finished  in  17th  position,  but
               marked another milestone in their history by reaching the first round proper of the
               F.A. Cup.
               After drawing 1—1 at home to Cardiff City, they eventually lost the replay 3—0 at
               Ninian Park.

               It is the home game against Cardiff City that is the subject of this publication.

               Following that cup run Wokingham got to the 4  Qualifying Round on the following
               occasions but did not progress any further :-

               1983-84   WATERLOOVILLE                       A    2-3
               1987-88   CARSHALTON ATHLETIC          A    1-2
               1989-90   WOKING                                      H    1-3

                In 1999 the final whistle was sounded on league football at Finchampstead Road
               after 93 years. Wokingham Town had been forced to sell the ground to developers
               because of spiralling debts.

               SOUVENIR PROGRAMME – 35 YEARS – FA CUP 1  ROUND                Page 3
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8